Yorkshire Carnegie made a losing start to the Greene King IPA Championship as they went down 28-12 to London Scottish.

Carnegie started the game poorly. A sloppy knock on from the kick off put them under immediate pressure, and although their defence managed to hold firm for a while it seemed inevitable that London Scottish would put an early score on the board.

This happened soon after as Jake Sharp produced a good offload to set Tjiuee Uanivi through to score. Sharp added the extras to complete a good start for London Scottish.

However, after that try, Carnegie began to grow into the game and had a good spell of possession. Yorkshire were beginning to really threaten and would have scored but the chances went begging as the final passes went down.

However, the visitors did hit back when Andy Forsyth went on a great run and offloaded to Chris Elder, who crossed under the posts for Carnegie. Alex Davies, who started the game at fly half, added the extra points to bring the game level.

Yorkshire continued to look the stronger of the two sides after they scored and soon after scored another brilliant try. A slick move started off by Davies saw the ball spun out to Elder who crossed for his second try of the day.

Carnegie however could not sustain their momentum and gave away a needless penalty in their own half. Sharp stepped up for Scottish and slotted an excellent kick to ensure Carnegie didn’t begin to build a lead.

Yorkshire rallied again and piled the pressure on to Scottish, with lots of territory, winning several penalties in the Scottish 22, but their momentum was halted when a sloppy line out saw Scottish turn the ball over and Carnegie could not add to their tally before half time so led 12-10 at the break.

The second half began sloppily for Yorkshire, as the first did, and they quickly saw their slender lead gone. They were originally reprieved when Sharp hit the upright with an early penalty, but moments later he made no mistake with a second chance.

As the game settled down Carnegie started to dominate the set piece, and won a penalty in Scottish territory.

They took the attacking option and kicked for the corner, and despite winning several more penalties from the resulting line outs, eventually the ball went down and with it the hopes of getting back in front.

Carnegie continued to have lots of territory and possession but could not convert this into points, still trailing by a single point on the scoreboard.

Scottish then grew into the half, and Carnegie were lucky to get away unscathed when a lapse in concentration saw London Scottish cross from a quickly taken line out, only for the referee to call them back as they had not taken it from the right spot.

Unfortunately for Yorkshire this was a sign of things to come, as Scottish maintained good territory for the rest of the game.

Sharp kicked an easy penalty to give his side a 16-12 lead, before Ben Mosses and Matt Williams scored tries, the last try was converted by Sharp, to put the game to bed in the late stages, and take the final score to 28-12.