Leeds Beckett Mens Rugby Union side clinched a dramatic 33-30 win over Northumbria at West Park Leeds that saw them finish the Super Rugby season in fourth spot ahead of the play offs and denied the visitors the title.

The home side took an early lead thanks to three penalties from Connor Lloyd before Northumbria scored the games opening try with their first real attack of the game after 28 minutes.

The two sides traded penalties after that before Beckett’s finally got the try their dominance deserved as fly half Steffan James found a way over. Lloyd added the conversion to make it 19-8 at half time.

Becketts were reduced to 14 men at the start of the second half when Stuart Nel was shown the yellow card for a high tackle and Northumbria made their numerical advantage count to cross for their second try of the game and make it 19-13 after just four minutes of the second half.

Once again the home side managed to stem the flow after that and hit back after 48 minutes when winger Harry Robinson, who has featured for Yorkshire Carnegie this season, finished off a great team move after Leeds had won the ball back in midfield. The conversion attempt was missed by Leeds Beckett now led 26-13.

Nel returned from the bin but Toby Francis then found himself on the side line and Becketts were still left to battle with 14 men.

To rub salt into the wound, Northumbria responded with three quick fire tries in eight minutes to take the lead for the first time 26-30 with less than 20 minutes to go.

Leeds Beckett knew only a win would secure a home quarter final and they produced a heroic effort to keep the ball for twenty phases and eventually Jame Elliot spotted a gap and went over under the posts. The conversion was added to give the home side a 33-30 lead with nine minutes to go.

Northumbria threw everything at Leeds in the final minutes, needing a win to finish top ahead of Exeter but to no avail and Leeds Beckett held on for victory and the all important home quarter final spot.