Academy stars Elliott Ward and Lewis Wilson both featured for England Under-19s against France at Stade Jules Ladoumègue, Massy
Wilson started at flanker and Ward came on from the bench, but they were unable to help the young England team to victory, who went down 35-22 in the friendly fixture.
The home side impressed early in the game and led 18-3 at half-time with Northampton Saints fly-half James Grayson kicking a penalty for England just before the break.
England improved in an open second half and it was No 8 Sam Moore (Sale Sharks) who powered over the line to score the first try of the game for the visitors.
England added further second half tries from Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors) and Harlequins’ Dino Lamb-Cona, however it wasn’t enough to prevent the defeat as France finished the game 35-22 winners.
England player pathway coach Peter Walton said: “Nobody likes to lose, however we have all learnt a lot from this game and it has been very worthwhile.
“The players have really enjoyed the experience and I think they can take a lot of credit from how they performed in the second half, it is how we want them to play and they really showed their quality.”
15. Ben Loader (London Irish)
14. Gabriel Ibitoye (Harlequins)
13. Matt Williams (London Irish)
12. Jacob Umaga (Wasps)*
11. Levi Davis (Hartpury)
10. James Grayson (Northampton Saints)
9. Rory Brand (London Irish)
1. Alex Seville (Gloucester Rugby)
2. Henry Walker (Gloucester Rugby)
3. Joseph Morris (Worcester Warriors)
4. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors)
5. Josh Williams (Newcastle Falcons)
6. Dino Lamb-Cona (Harlequins)
7. Lewis Wilson (Yorkshire Carnegie)
8. Sam Moore (Sale Sharks)
16. Gabriel Oghre (Bath Rugby)
17. Toby Trinder (Exeter Chiefs)
18. Ciaran Knight (Gloucester Rugby)
19. Elliott Ward (Yorkshire Carnegie)
20. Will Porter (Wasps)
21. Charlie Wright (Exeter Chiefs)
22. Elliott Obatoyinbo (Saracens)
23. Nick David (Worcester Warriors)