15 years ago today, Springbok international Braam van Straaten made his debut for the club and helped Phil Davies’ side to victory over Harlequins at Headingley.

Van Straaten was upstaged 20-year-old Dan Scarbrough who scored two blistering tries as Leeds beat the men from the capital.

The Tykes bounced back from three successive defeats to beat Harlequins and lift themselves off the foot of the table.

Leeds had conceded 169 points in their last three games but they are always liable to cause an upset at Headingley.

Having already defeated Bath, Saracens and Leicester in their debut campaign in the top flight, Harlequins joined them, thanks partly to two 80-yard scores from Scarbrough.The away team had started brightly – England’s Dan Luger ran under the posts after just three minutes.

But Paul Burke missed the conversion and Leeds began to work their way into the game.

Van Straaten landed his first three points for the Tykes and with 23 minutes on the clock, Scarbrough scored the first of his tries.

The Bradford-born winger showed an electric turn of pace as he chipped Scott Bemand and then outpaced the hapless Jamie Williams to touch down his own grubber kick.

Van Straaten added the conversion and then a 40-yard penalty to make it 13-5 on the half-hour.

A Burke penalty reduced the arrears and then Luger, on the stroke of half-time, spilled the ball just yards from the line.

From the re-start, Harlequins took the fight to their hosts but a classic counter-attack saw Van Straaten kick downfield for Scarbrough to outpace Luger and touch down.

The Springbok international slotted the penalty to open a 23-11 lead that, despite a late second try from Luger, proved enough.

Leeds: Benson, Scarbrough, Woof, van Straaten, Emmerson, Bachop, Kendra, Shelley, Rawlinson, Kerr, C. Murphy, Palmer, Hogg, Hyde, Fea’unati.
Replacements: Wring, Luffman, Jones, Mather, O’Reilly, Bartolucci, Davies.

Harlequins: J. Williams, Moore, Greenwood, Burrows, Luger, Burke, Bemand, Starr, Wood, Leonard, Codling, Davison, Winters, Tamarua, Diprose.
Replacements: Fuga, Dawson, Morgan, Alesbrook, M. Powell, Mapletoft, Bell.

Referee: N Yates (RFU)