This Sunday, Yorkshire Carnegie take on Moseley in the Quarter Final of the British & Irish Cup at Headingley Carnegie however the fixture evokes memories of a Cup Final between the sides back in 2009.

Neil Back and Andy Key's team had already secured promotion back to the Premiership when they travelled to Twickenham but they were undone by a spirited Moseley outfit. Here is the match report from the day:

Champions Leeds Carnegie suffered a 23-18 defeat to Moseley at Twickenham in the EDF Energy National Trophy Final.

Late tries from Mike MacDonald and Kearnan Myall were not enough as the Moseley were able to hang on to a 17-6 half time lead.

Leeds Carnegie returned to the stage of their finest ever victory four years on and with a place in the top flight of English rugby secured.

The game was played in bright sunshine as both teams looked to finish their season on a high.

Moseley had the first chance to score when fly half Tristan Roberts attempted a long range penalty from just inside his own half however it fell ten metres short and Leeds were able to clear their lines.

However they did take the lead after four minutes when Roberts was on target from much closer in when Carnegie were penalised for taking out a chasing runner after Jack Adams had broken through in midfield.

Leeds would have expected a whirlwind start from the team who are battling to avoid relegation, however the Champions maintained their composure and good work by the forwards, in particular the returning Hendre Fourie, took them forward and eventually Moseley gave away a penalty within kicking range and Alberto Di Bernardo levelled the score after eight minutes.

Carnegie came close to a try after 10 minutes when Fourie powered for the line from a ruck close in but he was lost control of the ball as he stretched out for the try.

Leeds were growing in the ascendancy however they suffered a sucker punch against the run of play when Leigh Hinton and Juan Gomez combined to spill the ball 25 metres from the Moseley line and winger Dan Norton hacked on before beating Jon Goodridge to the bounce and going over to score between the posts. Roberts added the conversion to make it 10-3 after 18 minutes.

Once again Leeds regrouped and came back at the Midlanders. They nearly created their first try when a clever kick from Scott Barrow caught Moseley unawares and Lee Blackett chased through to harass the defence and earned his side a penalty. Di Bernardo kicked the chance to make the score 10-6 after 24 minutes.

If Moseley's first try had an element of good fortune in it, their second certainly did not as they crafted a well worked try with quick hands and good angles of running. Eventually full back Andy Binns was the man to break the Leeds line and went over for the try from ten metres out. Roberts added the conversion to make it 17-6 after 28 minutes.
Di Bernardo missed the chance to cut the deficit with two minutes remaining when he pulled his penalty attempt wide from just 20 metres out to leave the score 17-6 at the interval.

Moseley extended their lead six minutes into the second half when Roberts added a simple penalty chance from right in front of the posts to make it 20-6.

The Leeds Carnegie coaching staff rang the changes just before the hour mark as they tried to breath life in their side's attempt to find a way back into the match.

It looked like Leeds would get their first try of the game with 15 minutes to go when Vili Ma'asi and Fosi Pala'amo burst down the touchline however, the latter knocked on as he tried to stretch out and score.

Even then, the chance was not gone as Carnegie shuffed Moseley off their own put in at the scrum and gained a five metre scrum themselves. Eventually the pressure told and skipper Mike MacDonald crashed over from short range. Di Bernardo missed the conversion leaving Carnegie with a mountain to climb in the final 12 minutes.

The result was put beyond doubt with four minutes to go when replacement Oli Thomas kicked a 25 metre drop goal to give the Midlanders a famous victory.

In the last second Kearnan Myall managed to wriggle his way over the line following a powerful run. Di Bernardo's conversion make the final score 23-17 and left Leeds with just the consolation of returning to the Guinness Premiership next season to ease their pain on the long journey home to Yorkshire.

Leeds Carnegie: Hinton, Blackett, Vickerman, Barrow, Goodridge, Di Bernardo, Bedford, MacDonald (c), Rawlinson, Gomez, Lund, Pendlebury, Clark, Fourie, Oakley
Replacements: Pala'amo for Gomez (57), Ma'asi for Rawlinson (49), Myall for Fourie (49), D Paul for Oakley (61), Mathie for Bedford (55), H Paul for Barrow (61), Hepworth for Vickerman (55), Pala'amo for MacDonald (BB45-57)
Moseley: Binns, Trinder, Adams, Reay, Norton, Roberts, Taylor (c), N Williams, Caves, Sigley, Muldowney, Stott, Mason, Bignell, Rodwell
Replacements: Davis, Oselton, Arnold for Mason (68), D Williams for Stott (57), Pasquali for Taylor (57), Thomas for Binns (58), Bressington
Referee: Llyr Apgeraint Roberts